The curfew over the waters off the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (Esszone) which ended today would be extended to Jan 30.
Sabah police commissioner Ramli Din said in a statement today that the 6pm to 6am curfew involved Tawau, Semporna, Kunak, Lahad Datu, Kinabatangan, Sandakan and Beluran.
He said it was extended to prevent terrorists and criminals across the border from encroaching into the waters and threatening the security of residents.Based on information, there had been continued attempts by Abu Sayyaf terrorists and criminals from the Southern Philippines to penetrate the state's waters, he said.
He said the curfew would also facilitate enforcement and monitoring of boat movements.
In this regard, the presence of authorities in the area would also provide security assurance to the fishermen, international researchers working in the vicinity, foreign visitors to the resort islands and chalet operators.
"I have also given authority to district police chiefs in Esszone to issue permits to those involved in fishery activities or who need to pass through the area in an emergency," he said.