Monday, August 31, 2026

Ong Kian Ming quits DAP on 69th Merdeka Day, not joining any party except helping KJ campaign in GE16

 

Editor’s Note: The writing has been on the wall for quite some time except perhaps for the Fulbright scholar to choose this historic date to commemorate his stepping down from DAP which he joined in 2012.

 

DEAR Saudara Anthony Loke Siew Fook (DAP’s secretary general)

(cc Saudara Khoo Poay Tiong, DAP’s national organising secretary)

I am writing to inform you that I am resigning as a DAP member effective on Aug 31, 2026. My membership number is S04-1916-0142612.

I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to contribute to the party and the country in different ways since I joined the party in 2012 – as a Serdang MP (2013 to 2018) and Bangi MP (2018 to 2022), as an international trade and industry (MITI) deputy minister (2018 to 2020), as an appointed member of the Central Executive Committee (2019 to 2022) and as an elected member of the DAP Selangor state committee (2018 to 2024).

Ong Kian Ming (right) will continue to serve the interests of the country through his podcast “Are We OK?”

I especially want to thank Saudara Tony Pua for inviting me to join the party and for providing me with the guidance on how to best serve the party and the country over the past 14 years as a DAP member.

I am also grateful to Saudara Lim Guan Eng for providing me with the opportunity to be nominated as a candidate for the parliamentary seats of Serdang and Bangi and as a deputy minister during his tenure as DAP secretary-general.

Ong Kian Ming (right) and Khairy Jamaluddin (KJ) (Image credit: ALIRAN)

It has been my pleasure and honour to work with DAP members and leaders in Serdang and Bangi during my time as a MP from 2013 to 2022 while serving the voters and residents of those constituencies as their elected representative.

I am not planning to join another political party in the near future and I will not be seeking to contest as a candidate in the next general election (GE16).

I remain committed to fulfil the promise I made on Jan 10 this year to help Khairy Jamaluddin (KJ) campaign in GE16 (16th General Election) if he is given a seat to run in.

I will continue to serve the interests of the country through other means including on my podcast (Are We OK?), through my various advisory positions and by working with other like-minded people with common interests.

Happy Merdeka Day! 

Ong Kian Ming
Aug 31, 2026

 The views expressed are solely of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of  MMKtT.

- Focus Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.