Saturday, September 5, 2026

"I stayed silent out of fear": Student recounts obscene conversation with e-hailing driver

 

KUALA LUMPUR: A 19-year-old college student was traumatised after an e-hailing driver allegedly engaged in an obscene conversation during her ride from the Terminal Bersepadu Selatan to her hostel in Setapak.

The student, who wished to be identified as Putery, recorded part of the conversation, which later went viral on social media.

Putery, from Seremban, Negri Sembilan, said she took a bus to Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday and was supposed to arrive at the terminal at 9pm.

However, the bus was delayed and arrived about 1.30am.

"I had booked an e-hailing service while I was still in Seremban. Initially, I was assigned another driver, but the booking was cancelled after my bus was delayed.

"I was then assigned another driver. He contacted me and said he was near the terminal.

"I told him I was still on the way as my bus had been delayed. He asked me to contact him once I arrived," she said when contacted.

Putery contacted the driver after arriving at the terminal.

"On the way to the hostel, he asked about the delay before the conversation shifted to his personal experiences.

"He then asked whether I had any plans during the holidays.

"I told him I did not, as all my friends were holidaying in Thailand and I was only returning home to be with my family," she said.

Putery said the driver then began talking about Thailand, prostitution and his personal experiences.

"I only gave brief responses such as 'oh', 'really' and 'I understand' because I was uncomfortable, but he continued.

"He even used my body as an example while discussing sexual matters," she said.

Putery said the driver continued talking about sex throughout the journey.

"When we arrived at the hostel, he was still talking about it. He also showed me a type of pill which he claimed to have taken before having sex.

"The journey should have taken about 20 minutes, but it took longer even though the roads were clear in the early hours of the morning.

"I did not want to confront him because I am a woman and it was just the two of us. I was worried that if something happened, I might not be able to do anything.

"That was why I chose to remain silent until we reached my destination," she said.

Putery lodged a report at the Setapak police station. - NST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.