Monday, September 7, 2026

Zara's father says he was never asked to consent to post-mortem

 

KOTA KINABALU: The father of the late Zara Qairina Mahathir told the Coroner's Court today that he was never asked whether he consented to a post-mortem on his daughter.

The 80th witness, Mahathir Mohd Hashim @ Marikin, 45, said a doctor confirmed Zara's death on July 17, 2025, while he was at Queen Elizabeth Hospital (HQE).

"On July 17, 2025, while I was at HQE, a doctor confirmed Zara's death, and I was with the doctor at the time.

"I was never asked whether I agreed or disagreed to a post-mortem being carried out," he said while reading his witness statement before Coroner Amir Shah Amir Hassan.

Mahathir said he remained at HQE from July 16 to 17, 2025, sleeping within the hospital grounds while waiting for news on Zara.

He had arrived at the HQE emergency unit between 1pm and 3pm on July 16 after learning his daughter was admitted.

Recalling his arrival at the emergency unit, Mahathir said he saw Zara's mother outside and asked where his daughter was located.

After being directed by her mother, he obtained permission from a nurse at the emergency unit to visit Zara's bedside.

Mahathir said he saw two female doctors, one Chinese and the other Malay, wearing dark blue uniforms, with Zara.

He said he could not recall their names and did not know their positions or ranks.

"I was informed by the Malay doctor that Zara's condition was critical. She told me that if Zara survived, she would remain in a coma for the rest of her life.

"She also informed me that Zara had suffered serious injuries involving bleeding in the brain, lungs and kidneys, as well as a broken leg," he said.

Mahathir said that while at her bedside, he noticed the pillow under his daughter's head was covered in blood.

"After that, I held Zara's head and kissed her forehead.

"When I held the back of Zara's head, I could feel that the area at the back of her upper neck was soft and seemed to have an indentation. I also noticed her left leg was bandaged from the thigh down to the sole of her foot," he said.

Mahathir added that he met several female teachers outside the emergency unit and asked what had happened to Zara and whether they were female wardens.

However, he said they only introduced themselves as History and Bahasa Melayu teachers.

Zara, 13, was found unconscious on the ground floor of her school dormitory on July 16, 2025, and was pronounced dead the following day at HQE. - NST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.