`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



 


16 SEPTEMBER 2026

Saturday, October 3, 2026

‘It’s happening in Malaysia’: Bahrain GP switch surprised race chief

 


The decision to stage the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix at Sepang International Circuit (SIC) this year came as a complete surprise to Bahrain International Circuit chief executive Sheikh Salman Isa Al Khalifa.

Sheikh Salman said he only learned of the plan during a phone call with Bahrain’s Crown Prince and Prime Minister Salman Hamad Al Khalifa as he was leaving the 2026 Belgian GP at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in Stavelot, Belgium, last July.

Recalling how the race came to be held at Sepang, Sheikh Salman said the prince called to inform him that the Bahrain GP would be held in Malaysia.

“It’s a very interesting one. I got a phone call from His Royal Highness while I was leaving Spa, and he’s like, ‘Hi Salman, just want to let you know, the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix is happening this year.’

“I was like, ‘Yes!’ ‘...but it’s going to be in Malaysia. I’m on a flight, I’ll call you when I land,’” he said in a recent interview with international media.

Sheikh Salman said the decision required some deliberation, but strong ties between Bahrain and Malaysia, coupled with Sepang’s pedigree as a former Formula 1 host, ultimately made it a natural fit.

He also praised Malaysia and SIC, which hosted Formula 1 from 1999 to 2017, for bringing the race back to the circuit this weekend.

“I mean, Malaysia’s fantastic. We’ve watched great racing here over the years,” he said.

Race was previously cancelled

Formula 1 confirmed in July that Malaysia would host the Gulf Air Bahrain GP from Oct 2 to 4 under an agreement involving Formula 1, the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), and the governments of Malaysia and Bahrain.

The deal keeps the Bahrain GP on the 2026 F1 calendar after the race was cancelled earlier this season amid geopolitical tensions in West Asia.

Prince Salman said in July that the decision to stage the race at Sepang was made possible with the blessings of Bahrain’s King Hamad Isa Al Khalifa and Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar, reflecting the close ties between the two countries.

“I am proud to join (Prime Minister) Anwar Ibrahim in announcing that Bahrain will host the GP at the SIC. This will be a wonderful experience for fans around the world and reflects Bahrain’s enduring commitment to, and passion for, the sport,” he was quoted as saying.

The qualifying session is scheduled for 4pm today, while the race starts at 3pm tomorrow.

- Bernama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.