`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 




25 Ogos 2026

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Boat operators seek exco help with fishing ban at Penang bridges

 State executive councillor Rashidi Zinol said discussions will be held to seek a balanced approach that takes into account the livelihoods of those involved.

An officer of the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency making an inspection last month of areas around the Penang bridge frequented by anglers. (MMEA pic)
PETALING JAYA:
Discussions will be held next week to seek the best solution for enforcing the fishing ban at popular spots around Penang’s two cross-channel bridges, state executive councillor Rashidi Zinol said today.

He said the matter would be examined after taking into account safety, regulations, and the livelihoods of the affected community, Bernama reported.

“The issue was raised by operators of tourist boats and fishing boats at a meeting with me recently,” he said. “They voiced several concerns following the enforcement of the ban.”

The areas around the Penang Bridge and the Jambatan Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah, popularly called the Second Bridge, have been gazetted as restricted and prohibited areas. Last month, the coastguard cleared out spots around the bridges frequented by anglers.

Rashidi said the operators claimed that the ban had resulted in lower demand for fishing and tourist boat services. Other businesses were also affected, such as those supplying fishing equipment, ice and food.

He said he would discuss the matter with the relevant parties next week to seek a balanced approach that safeguards safety and regulatory compliance while taking into account the livelihoods of boat operators and related businesses. - FMT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.