MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku


Monday, September 30, 2013

PSM sec-gen and 11 others arrested at Kg Hakka Mantin

In their effort to stop developers from demolishing Kampung Hakka Mantin today, five residents and seven activists were arrested by police.

It is also reported that one resident was injured during the commotion. 

NONEAmong those picked up was PSM secretary-general S Arutchelvan. 

Earlier this morning around 90 residents and activists gathered at the village in Negri Sembilan, attempting to negotiate with the developer, police, and court representative, who came to demolish the houses.

The negotiation broke down at 11.20am, and the authorities proceeded to detain those trying to stop the onslaught of the demolition.
This is the second time authorities have arrested protestors over the century-old village.
On Sept 12 the village head and other protestors were similarly arrested for protesting the demolition.
'Demolition premature, inhumane'

Arutchelvan told Malaysiakini at noon that those arrested have been taken to Mantin police station.

He called the demolition today illegal as the court has given a seven-day evacuation notice served on Sept 25, that should only be effective on Oct 2.
NONE“This (the demolition) is inhumane,” Arutchelvan slammed.

Furthermore, the residents have also filed a stay order application, which will be heard on Oct 17, he added.

Recounting the fracas this morning, Arutchelvan said while he was negotiating with the authorities, the police suddenly "attacked" and arrested him.

As the other activists and residents tried to assist him, they got arrested as well. 

NONEThe PSM leader accused the police of kicking him and the others, and said one activist was slapped so hard in the face he fell..

One woman was also injured and has been hospitalised, he said.

The authorities eventually stopped the demolition after tearing down three houses.

The residents' lawyers have since rushed to Seremban High Court to try to obtain a stay order from the judge pending the hearing.
Later in the afternoon, Arutchelvan was jubilant that they have managed to obtain a stay.
"I have just received good news, the (Seremban) High Court has granted an interim stay until Oct 17. Hidup rakyat (long live the people)," he posted on his Facebook while still at the police station.
The detainees are however still detained at press time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.