`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!





Saturday, August 31, 2013

Wong: No full-blown water crisis from diesel spill


The diesel spill yesterday which caused water disruption in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor did not develop into a full-blown crisis because it was brought under control by midnight, the Selangor state government said today.

The state executive councillor for tourism, consumer affairs and environment Elizabeth Wong told Malaysiakini that all four water intake points were back operating in stages early this morning.
"Is it a water disruption? Yes. Is the spill massive? Yes. Is is a crisis? No. Because we begun managing it by yesterday evening," Wong said.
NONEShe said much of the spilled diesel had been pumped out from the water intake points by yesterday evening, and the state had made sure that there were no oil on the water surface before agreeing to let the pumps operate in stages.

"People should get back water in stages today. All the water pumps are back operational in full capacity as of 6am," she said, reassuring millions of residents who are affected by the water cuts.
"The water pumps were closed at 9am yesterday and were all up in stages by 1am today," said Wong, who visited the affected water intake areas and monitored water testing until the wee hours of morning.
She said that Klang might get its water restored last compared to the other affected areas due to its distance from the water reservoir.
"The reinstatement of water depends on the distance of the area from water reservoir. In my area, I am getting water but the pressure is low," she said.
Action against errant company

According to her, the diesel spill came from a company and not from any tanker as reported earlier. She said that the company had a contract to clean trucks, including garbage trucks, and had then dump the diesel into a drain.
The diesel went on to affect the Sungai Selangor river and subsequently the water intake points.

Wong vowed that action is being taken against the company.
"We have shut down the company, and I have also spoken to the state secretary and we have agreed to go to the Land Office as soon as possible and confiscate the land," she said.
"We will need to see what we can do under the local council," she further added.
She also said that the company might be sealed for causing the spill, and will be charged in court by the Department of Environment (DOE).

Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (Syabas) had late yesterday evening declared a "code red" warning of a water crisis due to the spill.

The water company said the spill resulted in the closure of water treatment plans of Sungai Selangor phase one, two, and three as well as the Rantau Panjang water treatment plan.

The four affected water treatment plants cover 57 percent of the water demand in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.