MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku


Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Overnight storm, heavy rains wreak havoc in parts of Penang, Kedah


GEORGE TOWN: An overnight storm and heavy rains wreaked havoc in several parts of Penang, especially low-lying areas, with reports of flash floods, minor landslides and uprooted trees.

Social media was abuzz with pictures of the flash floods and uprooted trees,especially on the island.

Bayan Lepas assemblyman Azrul Mahathir Aziz said he was shocked by the flash flood incident as it only rained for a few hours and it was not that heavy.

"The heavy rain only lasted for an hour, and yet the flood is still happening," he said Wednesday (Sept 29).

He said among the areas that were affected in Teluk Kumbar were Kampung Suluk, Kampung Nelayan, Kampung Paya and the cluster house.

He added that luckily no one was injured in the incident and no residents were relocated or had to be evacuated.

The downpour also uprooted trees in Jalan Gertak Sanggul, Batu Uban and Tanjung Bungah.

Taman Seri Setia Village Community Management Council (MPKK) chairman Koay Seng Lye said the uprooted trees was cleared by the Fire and Rescue Department and Penang Island City Council (MBPP) in about 45 minutes after receiving distress calls from residents at about 9.30pm Tuesday (Sept 28).

"There was also a minor landslip near Mount Erskine, but the debris from the landslip has been cleared and one section of the road has been closed to traffic," he said.

He said fallen trees have also been cleared near the Tanjung Bunga floating mosque.

In Kedah, two hours of heavy rains on Tuesday evening caused several areas in Sik and Kuala Muda to be inundated.

Among the worst hit areas in Sik were Kampung Landai, Kampung Pinang and Kampung Melaka where 30 victims were evacuated from their homes and housed in the temporary relief centre at Sekolah Kebangsaan Gulau.

In Kuala Muda, three villages in Gurun - Kampung Cengai Sungai Ibor, Kampung Sungai Bongkok and Kampung Batu Tiga - were also affected.

However, no evacuation centre was activated in the area.

The flood receded in the wee hours of morning after the rain stopped at about 1am. - Star

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.