MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku



Friday, May 30, 2014

If offenders aren’t brought to justice, child attacks will rise, say KL lawmakers

Rescue personnel removing the body of the two-and-a-half year old girl, who witnesses said was killed by a suspect in central Kuala Lumpur. – The Malaysian Insider pic, May 30, 2014.Rescue personnel removing the body of the two-and-a-half year old girl, who witnesses said was killed by a suspect in central Kuala Lumpur. – The Malaysian Insider pic, May 30, 2014.As the country reels from the shock of a two-and-a-half year old toddler being beheaded in central Kuala Lumpur, the city’s lawmakers are saying such crimes will continue as long as the police failed to bring them to book.
Lembah Pantai MP Nurul Izzah Anwar, in expressing her shock over the incident, said history has shown that crimes against children in Malaysia have continued to take place while the culprits have gotten away.
"Such heinous deeds will continue until there's a clear punitive action where perpetrators are punished. A cursory glance at the rate of prosecution in crimes involving children is very low; from Nurin Jazlin to the two-and-a-half year old last night."
"But, we must work hard to deter such criminals," Nurul Izzah said today.
Eight-year-old Nurin Jazlin Jazimin was abducted and murdered in 2007 after she left her home in Wangsa Maju to a nearby market in August 2007. She was last seen being dragged into a white van.
Her naked body was found stuffed in a gym bag in Petaling Jaya a few weeks later. Police have yet to find her murderer.
Calling the incident "unbelievable", Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun echoed Nurul Izzah's sentiments, urging police to work harder to bring culprits of crimes against children to justice.
"Whatever necessary action must be taken as this was just a child, who could not protect herself," he added, noting that the culprit or those who had killed Nurin Jazlin had gotten away.
The body of a two-and-a-half year old girl was found beheaded beside the Klang River in Jalan Hishammuddin, Kuala Lumpur last night.
She was discovered by a member of the public near the old KTM station at about 9pm, while the girl's head was found near the body.
Police said that a man had been seen taking the child away from a shopping complex near Pudu Sentral earlier in the day. The child had accompanied her mother to the shopping complex.
Witnesses have said that the suspect had jumped into the river in a bid to escape from members of the public who had tried in vain to stop him from murdering the victim in the 9pm incident.
Police now believe the suspect may have drowned following witnesses’ statements that he had been swept away by the river.
The victim was brought by her 32-year-old mother to a nearby shopping complex about 3pm and left her with several friends when she went to the toilet. When she returned five minutes later, the girl was nowhere to be found.
Parents really need to look out for their children at all times, said Seputeh MP Teresa Kok.
"Security is an issue, what more for children. Parents should watch their children very carefully."
Kok saidd that the country needs to focus their energies on protecting one another instead of concentrating on issues which are not as important.
"Something went wrong with the focus of our nation. We think about hudud, race and religion, words that others use but not this.
"If our nation can channel our energy to protecting one another, it can be meaningful for the rest of us," she added. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.