PETALING JAYA: No criminal offence was committed in the botched circumcision of a nine-year-old boy resulting in the case now being classified as “no further action”.
The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) also said there was no solid evidence against the doctor who performed the procedure at a clinic in Kuala Lumpur last month, hence he will face no charges.
Sentul police chief R Munusamy told FMT the case is now closed, adding that the boy’s parents were notified of the AGC’s decision yesterday.
The case was initially investigated under Section 338 of the Penal Code for causing grievous hurt through actions which endanger life or safety of others.
Munusamy told FMT the letter from the AGC said no criminal offence was committed and there was no solid evidence to charge the doctor.
In an immediate response, the family’s lawyer, P Uthayakumar said his clients have instructed him to write to the AGC to review the investigation papers.
“They are unhappy with the outcome,” Uthayakumar said, adding the family will also write to the Malaysian Medical Council to ask what action they have taken against the doctor.
It was reported that the doctor accidentally cut off the boy’s penis head using a pair of scissors during a circumcision procedure on December 15, 2016.
His father, who was accompanying him at the clinic, lodged a police report on the same day.
His parents later claimed that Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL) carried out surgery to reattach the severed penis head without the right expertise or technology in place.
In a press conference last Friday, the couple pleaded for the government to help their only son “restore” his manhood.
Health Ministry director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had promised stern action against doctors and other health professionals who carry out circumcisions without adequate training. -FMT