KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 5 – Minister of Information, Communications and Culture Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim denied the allegation today that he had raped his maid in 2007.
In his first public comments since the accusation surfaced last month, Rais (picture) said that all reports on the allegation must be investigated thoroughly.
“I deny every allegation made, whether it involves raping any individual four years ago or other accusations published by wild writers on the internet or any political party,” said Rais in a statement published through state news agency Bernama.
He also urged the public to stop speculating on the case while the investigation is ongoing.
“For the sake of justice and humanity, those who practise dirty politics whether through internet or other media should stop speculating, defaming or to engage in unethical acts,” he added.
Rais’ denial came just hours after a PKR-linked group Malaysian Youth Solidarity (SAMM) led by Badrul Hisham Shaharin lodged a police report over the allegation.
Rais however said the allegation was made with bad intention and has no legal basis.
“All writings, reports, commentaries, speculations including pictures published by blogs, websites regarding any wrongdoing or allegation of sexual misconduct against any individual were made with bad intention, fabricated lies, were fictional and with no legal basis whatsoever,” said Rais.
He also stressed that the accusation did not originate from a leaked US Embassy cable as alleged by a pro-Umno blogger.
The allegation, which first surfaced late last month, claims a minister raped his Indonesian maid while he was part of the Abdullah administration in 2007.
Tun Abdullah Badawi, who stepped down in April 2009, was also accused by several pro-Umno blogs of attempting to cover up the case.
The case was said to have been uncovered the same year it took place by Migrant Care, an NGO with close ties to senior PAS leaders.
A report by Migrant Care containing, among others, an interview with the alleged rape victim has also been circulated.
The NGO had reportedly confirmed the accusation based on its own investigation but it said the maid, who has since returned to Indonesia, did not want to be disturbed. - Malaysian Insider