Tourism and Culture Minister Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz has speculated that no television station would broadcast his debate with Dr Mahathir Mohamad live because the latter had no official role in the opposition.
Nazri said the debate, which would take place in Kuala Kangsar this Saturday, was between two individuals and not a government-versus-opposition affair.
"He doesn't have (an official) role. He is not the opposition leader. If it he had been, we would have had an opposition versus government (debate).
"I am not the head of government (either). (This debate is) between individuals. If it is between unimportant individuals, we can't use government channels," he told reporters at the Parliament lobby today.
Nazri, who is also Padang Rengas MP, meanwhile also suggested that there is no need for Umno and BN members to attend the debate.
He said this was because the debate was organised for him to provide an explaination to opposition supporters.
“I urge Umno and BN supporters, no need to come. I have no problems, I can even be there myself.
“It is better (for Umno, BN to not attend), I don’t want to talk to Umno people, I want to talk to the opposition. Let them listen to my explanation,” he said.
Pressed on whether he is truly unaffected by the lack of Umno and BN support, Nazri insisted, “I don’t care.”
He also reassured that the debate will be held in a peaceful and harmonious manner, aside from not imposing any conditions or terms that must be fulfilled by organisers.
The Home Ministry on Saturday confirmed that it will allow the debate to held in Kuala Kangsar, Perak, on March 25.
The debate, which will be held at the Maktab Rendah Sains Mara (MRSM) Sultan Azlan Shah in Kuala Kangsar, will touch on several issues, including the Bumiputra Malaysia Finance scandal which rocked the nation in the 1990s.- Mkini