Abdul Latif Bandi has resigned from the Johor exco, after pleading not guilty to corruption charges yesterday.
In a statement issued through his lawyers, Abdul Latif also thanked Johor's Sultan, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar and Menteri Besar Khaled Nordin for having had entrusted him to be part of the administration.
Meanwhile, Johor Menteri Besar Mohamed Khaled Nordin acknowledged Abdul Latif's letter of resignation and said he respected the decision.
"I hope the process of justice will proceed in accordance to the law.
"The state government hopes and prays that, going forward, all his affairs will be smooth," he said.
Khaled also thanked Abdul Latif for his contribution.
Abdul Latif's lawyer said his client managed to post bail today, with help from family and supporters. He was released about 3.30pm.
He could not raise the RM2 million bail set yesterday, because his bank accounts have been frozen as part of the investigation.
Abdul Latif yesterday claimed trial to 33 counts of corruption involving land costing more than RM30 million at the Johor Baru Sessions Court.
He was charged alongside Amir Sharifuddin Abdul Raub, who is accused of acting as a middlemen in the scandal involving bumiputera land status.
If convicted, they could be punished under Section 24 of MACC Act and may face up to 20 years' jail and five times the bribed amount, or RM10,000 fine, whichever is higher, on each charge.
Abdul Latif had earlier been remanded for seven days by MACC to assist in its investigation into corruption. He was released on a RM200,000 deposit with oral bail.
It was reported that the MACC raided his home and seized 150 handbags, a luxury vehicle and and RM41,000.
The case had also seen six other arrests, including Abdul Latif's son and his special officer.
Johor Menteri Besar Khaled Nordin then announced that Abdul Latif has been put on leave since March 1. His housing and local government portfolio was taken over by Jais Sarday.- Mkini