PUTRAJAYA: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed so far that no Malaysian was affected in the Times Square, New York, car crash on May 18, 2017.
In the incident, a car ploughed into a crowd at the Times Square around noon (local time), killing an 18-year-old woman and injuring 22 others.
There is no indication the incident was an act of terrorism and it is being investigated as an accident by the local authority.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia, through the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York, will continue to monitor the situation.
On May 18, Richard Rojas, a 26-year-old former US Navy veteran with a criminal past from the Bronx, drove his Honda onto the sidewalk, smashing into pedestrians for three blocks at high speed.
The vehicle collided with a metal pole and came to a stop at 45th Street and Broadway, police said.
An 18-year-old woman was killed and 22 others injured, including the woman’s 13-year-old sister, officials said. Four were in critical condition.
The midday incident sparked fear in the heart of America’s most populous city after deadly car-ramming attacks in London, Berlin and the French city of Nice, but authorities said there was no evidence the crash was terror-related. -FMT