MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku


Thursday, August 30, 2018

Police interview lawyer over alleged judicial interference in Karpal’s sedition appeal

Haniff Khatri says however he finds it improper to disclose the source as it involves the integrity of the judiciary.
PETALING JAYA: Police have recorded a statement from lawyer Mohamed Haniff Khatri Abdulla following his revelation that the late Karpal Singh’s sedition appeal two years ago was altered due to judicial interference.
Haniff said a senior officer, Marzuqi Ibrahim from the district police headquarters here, took about two hours from 12.45pm to record the statement at his office following a report made by Karpal’s daughter Sangeet Kaur Deo last week.
“I cooperated to answer the questions but did not reveal the source,” he told FMT.
“Haniff said at this moment in time, he found it improper to disclose to police the source as it involved the integrity of the judiciary.
“I will divulge the source at the right forum if a special task force is formed to conduct a preliminary investigation or before a royal commission of inquiry,” he said.
However, Haniff said he told the investigating officer that he obtained the information from the source between 9.30pm and 11pm on Aug 20.
The lawyer claimed police had yet to classify Sangeet’s police report as it was conducting an initial fact-finding mission.
Sangeet made the report at the Dang Wangi police district headquarters on Aug 23 following a report in FMT a day earlier.
Haniff was quoted as saying that he had been recently informed that a senior judge had reportedly meddled in the majority decision to allow Karpal’s appeal and acquit him of the charge.
“The panel was asked to reverse the ruling,” the lawyer, who usually appears for Dr Mahathir Mohamad in civil cases, had said in a Facebook post.
Karpal was charged with sedition for saying the removal of Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin as menteri besar by the late Perak Sultan, Sultan Azlan Shah, and the appointment of Zambry Abdul Kadir in his place, could be questioned in court.
On Feb 21, 2014, the High Court found Karpal guilty but he died in a road accident two months later.
On May 30, 2016, his conviction was upheld by the Court of Appeal.
The majority, consisting of justices Mohtarudin Baki and Kamardin Hashim, however, allowed the late Karpal’s appeal on his RM4,000 fine, reducing it to RM1,800.
Justice Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat, however, ruled in favour of Karpal to set aside the conviction.
Karpal’s widow Gurmeet, who is acting for her husband’s estate, is appealing the conviction in the Federal Court. - FMT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.