`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



 


16 SEPTEMBER 2026

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Residents in Lahad Datu, Tawau startled by tremors

 

LAHAD DATU: The 5.0-magnitude earthquake that struck the waters off Sandakan at 9.11pm tonight was felt by residents in Lahad Datu and Tawau, with several describing brief but noticeable tremors.

Nurse Nur Damia Hanafi, 34, from Lahad Datu, said she felt the shaking while on her way home.

"I was stopped at a red light when I suddenly felt the car shaking.

"I thought someone was shaking the car from outside, but the tremor lasted only briefly. I continued my journey home and only later found out that an earthquake had occurred," she told Bernama.

The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) said the epicentre was located about 48 kilometres east of Lahad Datu, at coordinates 4.9 degrees North and 118.7 degrees East, at a depth of 10 kilometres.

Public servant Norusidah Ruslan, 45, also from Lahad Datu, said she noticed the tremor while working on diamond embroidery and saw the embroidered clothes hanging nearby sway.

"I thought I was feeling dizzy, but when I saw the clothes moving, I realised the shaking was getting stronger.

"This was my first experience of an earthquake. I panicked and called my husband, who was at a friend's house, to check on his safety and ask whether the tremor had been felt elsewhere," she said.

Housewife Nur Medina Abdullah, 40, said she was cleaning the kitchen when she felt the shaking for several seconds.

"At first I thought I was dizzy. I even wondered if there was something supernatural because I was alone in the kitchen. It turned out to be the tremor," said the Lahad Datu resident

The tremor was also felt in Tawau.

E-hailing driver Muhd Andri Sapar, 35, said he felt the tremor for about eight seconds while having a drink with a friend at a hotel in the town.

"The tremor felt strong but was brief. I was sitting and chatting with my friend when suddenly everything started to sway and the water in the glass was sloshing," he said.

Housewife Siti Amilah Terence, 35, said she and her husband also experienced the tremor while leaving a mobile phone shop in Tawau.

"We felt the movement but it did not last long. I felt unsteady and dizzy during the tremor," she said.

– BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.