Yasin Sulaiman says his account of life in jail was never intended to tarnish the prisons department’s reputation or undermine the duties of its officers and personnel.

Yasin said his account of life in prison was never intended to tarnish the department’s reputation or undermine the duties of its officers and personnel.
“Having taken note of the department’s explanation and reflecting on the circumstances I experienced at the time, I hereby retract those statements.
“I regret if my account (of life in prison) caused confusion or misunderstanding among the public.
“Accordingly, I would like to apologise to the prisons department, as well as its officers and personnel, for any confusion that arose,” he said in a statement.
Earlier, Yasin claimed in an episode of the AididitMyWay podcast a hierarchy existed among inmates, including groups referred to as “boss” and “taiko”. He also alleged that drugs could be smuggled into prison if a person possessed money and influence.
Prisons department senior director of prison policy Rosidek Musa denied his claims and said the department has standard operating procedures to handle misconduct or negative incidents among inmates.
Rosidek also said that in the prison system, the focus is on rehabilitation programmes and addressing negative occurrences.
He said “certain incidents may happen, but not to the extent alleged”.
Yasin clarified that his account of what happened in prison was based on what he experienced and understood during that period.
“At the time, before receiving treatment at Hospital Bahagia, I was experiencing episodes of bipolar mania. My condition at the time may have affected the way I saw, heard, understood and interpreted the things happening around me,” he said. - FMT

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.