The Department of the Environment has not found any elements of sabotage in its preliminary investigations concerning contamination of Sungai Semenyih, said Natural Resources and Environment Minister Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.
"So far, in our investigations we have not found anything, nevertheless, were are not dismissing any possibilities," he told reporters at the Parliament lobby today.
Selangor Menteri Besar Mohamed Azmin Ali on Sunday was reported to have alleged that the contamination at Sungai Semenyih was due to sabotage and believed the Barisan Nasional and Umno had a hand in it to weaken the state government with elections nearing.
Azmin said Lembaga Urus Air Selangor had lodged a police report to call for an investigation on the matter.
Wan Junaidi said his ministry viewed seriously the accusations hurled by Azmin and hoped the Selangor governement would furnish concrete proof to the authorities.
He said anyone found sabotaging water catchment areas would face action under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (Pota) 2015 and Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012.
"Sabotage is a serious matter and emergency measures can be taken against the perpetrators because this involves more than two million water consumers," he said.
He also said that he hoped the issue (contamination) of the river would not be politicised because people could not live without water resources.