PARLIAMENT The police probe on Ismail Sabri Yaakob's call for Malays to boycott Chinese businesses is now with the deputy public prosecutor's (DPP) office, almost two years after the controversial remarks were made.
In a written parliamentary reply to a query from Lim Guan Eng (DAP-Bagan), Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the investigation papers had been submitted on March 23 this year.
Ismail had in early February last year, urged Malays to boycott Chinese businesses to force them to lower prices.
"The majority of consumers are Malays. The Chinese are the minority. If the Malays boycott their businesses, they will have no choice but to reduce prices," Ismail Sabri wrote on Facebook.
Ismail Sabri also accused Chinese businesses of having suspect halal certifications, yet Malays were still patronising such establishments.
The case was probed under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code for among other things, issuing a statement that could cause “fear or alarm to the public”.
Those convicted under this law can be jailed up to two years, or fined or both.
Meanwhile Zahid said controversial preacher Ridhuan Tee Abdullah is under investigation for issuing statements that are allegedly inflammatory.
This is in regards to Ridhuan’s remarks that Chinese athletes were unpatriotic, as they were only looking for monetary rewards.
The comments published in Sinar Harian, also claimed that Malay athletes were sidelined and deprived of the same attention given to non-Malays.
The case is still being probed under Section 505(c) of the Penal Code.-Mkini