`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



 


16 SEPTEMBER 2026

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Melaka polls: Dira wants to defend Rim seat but leaves decision to BN leadership

 

Khaidhirah, the daughter of Melaka’s eighth chief minister, the late Datuk Seri Abu Zahar Ithnin, became the first celebrity to become an elected representative after winning the Rim state seat in the 2021 Melaka state election.

PETALING JAYA: Rim state assemblyman Datuk Khaidhirah Abu Zahar, better known as YB Dira, has set no conditions regarding the seat she would contest should she again be given the trust to stand as a Barisan Nasional candidate in the Melaka state election.

Khaidhirah said she had expressed her intention to defend the Rim state seat but would leave it to the party leadership to make the best decision.

“I have expressed my wish to offer myself to contest in the same seat. I do not dare to make a decision or set any conditions.

"As leaders, we must learn to be good followers. If it is decided that I have to contest elsewhere, then I will contest elsewhere,” she told Sinar Harian.

She said she still has major plans and vision for the Rim constituency.

“I want this constituency to be better known for its own unique characteristics. I see values that have yet to be highlighted, including local products and tourism potential.

"It does not need to become a town, but we can retain its village character while providing a much better quality of life.

"I also want children in this area to be given more opportunities in education, sports, the arts and other fields, so that they can go further,” she said.

She said her almost five years of experience as an elected representative had also changed the way she works compared with when she first contested the 2021 Melaka state election.

One of the main challenges then, she said, was convincing the public that her background as an actress did not prevent her from becoming a leader capable of helping to resolve their problems.

“People think that I am an artiste, so if I win, it is because I am an artiste or because of my looks.

"I do not want to be labelled as someone who merely sells her looks or name. I want to be known as a leader who can help them, including in resolving problems that may seem small to others but are significant to them,” she said.

Khaidhirah said she was comfortable maintaining her simple image, including the square headscarf and baju kurung that have become part of her identity.

She said she had never adopted a particular style solely to build a political image, instead believing in simplicity.

“I believe that if we are confident, God willing, people will have confidence in us too. If I wear beautiful clothes but am not confident myself, how can I convince others?

"I am a minimalist and I like simple things. I have never set a particular trend so that people would recognise me by this or that style,” she said.

Khaidhirah, the daughter of Melaka’s eighth chief minister, the late Datuk Seri Abu Zahar Ithnin, became the first celebrity to become an elected representative after winning the Rim state seat in the 2021 Melaka state election.

She holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from Universiti Teknologi Mara and completed a Master’s degree in Public Policy at Universiti Malaya in 2024.

In the previous state election, Khaidhirah won with a majority of 1,327 votes, securing 4,037 votes against two other candidates. Azalina Abdul Rahman of Perikatan Nasional received 2,710 votes, while Prasanth Kumar of Pakatan Harapan secured 2,163. - Star

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.