The prime minister says the royal institution must be preserved and respected, in line with the Federal Constitution.

Anwar said any differences in opinion or disagreements, as well as disputes, could be raised as long as they were pursued through the proper channels, Bernama reported.
“And what I find most unreasonable is that the menteri besar and former exco made the decision. This is an uncivilised and disrespectful move, and I strongly object to it.
“Since when have they been given the mandate to question the position of the state ruler?” he told Malaysian media while travelling by high-speed train from Shanghai to Hangzhou today.
Anwar said he could not understand the actions taken by the menteri besar and the former exco over several matters involving the royal institution, which had sparked a controversy in Negeri Sembilan.
“I cannot imagine a Malay leader tabling a motion to remove a Malay ruler. I cannot accept that at all,” he said when commenting on the controversy in Negeri Sembilan.
“So, I want to stress that, to me, what they did was a grave offence. As for the federal government, if you ask about jurisdiction, we abide by the Federal Constitution.
“If you tarnish and violate the constitution, we will defend it. As a leader of this country, I want to ensure that the constitution is respected. I want to ensure there is no disrespect, including questioning the position of the ruler,” he said.
Members of the state executive council issued a statement on Sept 16 affirming that Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir’s removal as the Yang Dipertuan Besar in April was legitimate and that Tunku Nadzaruddin Tuanku Ja’afar was the new ruler of Negeri Sembilan.
Ismail endorsed the statement the following day.
However, the state’s Dewan Keadilan dan Undang said the exco’s decision had no legal effect and that Tuanku Muhriz remained the legitimate Yang Dipertuan Besar.
On Sept 17, the Attorney‑General’s Chambers rejected a proclamation purporting to remove Tuanku Muhriz as the state ruler, along with a subsequent announcement by the exco affirming it.
The AGC said the proclamation was invalid, and that the menteri besar and the now-former exco members had no unilateral power to remove the state ruler.
On Sept 20, Tuanku Muhriz revoked the appointments of the 10 exco members, citing breaches of their oaths of office.
Anwar was granted an audience with him the following day. - FMT

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.