Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religious Affairs) Marhamah Rosli has denied claims that she was involved in a teaching known as the New Age Movement.
This came several hours after she was called in by the Islamic Development Department (Jakim) and the Federal Territories Mufti Department for a meeting regarding the controversy.
Jakim explained that the meeting with Marhamah was held following allegations linking her to the spread of shamanistic practices, sorcery, amulets and New Age teachings.
In a media statement, Marhamah said the public had raised concerns over the matter, which she took seriously and stressed that she rejects any teachings, beliefs, practices or approaches that contradict the rules (syarak) and principles of Islam.
“I firmly adhere to the beliefs of Sunnis and have never abandoned these beliefs.
“I also strongly deny allegations that I follow, practise or spread New Age or any teachings that contradict Islamic beliefs and syariah,” she said.
What is New Age Movement?
The New Age Movement is a broad spiritual and metaphysical movement that became prominent in the 1970s and 1980s. It draws on various forms of spirituality, mysticism, Eastern religious ideas and alternative healing, with some adherents believing in concepts such as cosmic energy, vibrations, universal consciousness and a “divine self” or “god within”.
Peruvian-born anthropologist and writer Carlos Castaneda is regarded as the father of New Age, following the publication of "The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge", a book about the mystical secrets of the Yaqui people of Mexico.
Practices associated with it include meditation, yoga, astrology, crystals and energy or aura healing.
However, it is unclear whether this is related to the movement being discussed in Malaysia or whether it merely uses the same name.
Locally, it has been linked to several motivational speakers, therapy centre owners, and even individuals referring to themselves as "ustaz" (Islamic religious teachers).
The Selangor Islamic Religious Council describes it on its website as a teaching of “spirituality without religion” that rejects traditional religious structures and emphasises individual spiritual experiences.
From an Islamic theological perspective, some New Age beliefs and practices may constitute syirik (deviation) if they involve attributing divine or supernatural powers to entities or forces other than Allah.
'I didn't know terms related to movement'
Elaborating on her meeting with the religious authorities, Marhamah clarified that there was no dispute over her faith and she had no involvement with the New Age Movement.
/file/publisher-c1a3f893382d2b2f8a9aa22a654d9c97/2020/12/bfbdce877c1282216551cb0706e1c1c7.jpg)
She also gave Jakim an explanation on several old social media posts, particularly those involving the sharing of content, her involvement with certain individuals, and the use of several terms that were subsequently linked to New Age, saying that she had no personal relationship with the individuals allegedly linked to the movement, and that she had only shared a post from one of them.
“At the time, I did not know that the content or certain terms used would later be linked to elements of New Age,” she said, acknowledging, however, that she had previously used several terms without knowing that they were associated with the movement.
“I no longer use these terms. I accept every criticism and piece of advice openly.
“As a deputy minister entrusted with the religious affairs portfolio, I am committed to and will continue to ensure that all my communication and approaches are guided by the beliefs of Sunnis and that I consult the relevant authorities on matters concerning religion,” she added. - Mkini

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.