`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



 

21 JUNE 2026

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

My most impossible dream

 The greatest discovery was never hidden within the pages of an old manuscript, but within the student.

Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah

From the Tengku Ampuan of Pahang, Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah

Yesterday, I pressed the “Submit” button.

There were no fireworks. No applause. No fanfare. Just one quiet click on my computer screen. Yet that single click marked the end of one of the most challenging, humbling, and rewarding journeys of my life.

At the age of sixty-six, I submitted my master’s thesis at the International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilisation (ISTAC), International Islamic University Malaysia.

Who would have imagined that a housewife, a mother, a grandmother, and a queen would one day spend countless nights worrying over footnotes, manuscripts, citations, Chicago style, and a Turnitin similarity report? When the report appeared on my screen showing only 4% similarity, I smiled, not because of the number itself, but because it reflected months of reading, thinking, questioning, translating, rewriting, and discovering. Those pages had truly become my own.

Now, as I wait for the reports of the examiners, I feel something I have not felt for a very long time. Not anxiety. Not fear.

Relief.

Gratitude.

Contentment.

For the first time in many months, there is nothing more I can do. The thesis has left my hands. It now belongs to the scholars who will read it, evaluate it, and perhaps challenge it. Whatever their conclusions may be, this journey has already given me something far more precious than a grade.

When I first embarked upon this master’s degree, I thought I was searching for the Hukum Kanun Pahang. I wanted to understand an ancient manuscript, its history, its laws, and its place within the constitutional heritage of the Malay world. I believed I was setting out to rediscover a forgotten constitutional legacy.

Instead, the manuscript slowly began to change me.

It taught me patience.

It taught me humility.

It taught me that history is not merely about remembering the past, but about learning to ask better questions.

Most of all, it reminded me that learning has no age limit.

I have often described myself as a late bloomer. Perhaps I still am. But being a mature student taught me that education is not a race. Wisdom grows at its own pace. Experience does not replace learning; it enriches it. I discovered that it is never too late to begin again, never too late to sit in a classroom, never too late to struggle with unfamiliar ideas, and never too late to dream.

This journey also transformed the way I see the Hukum Kanun Pahang itself.

For generations, it has often been regarded simply as an old legal manuscript. As I immersed myself in its pages, I began to read it differently. I came to see it as a constitutional document that preserves a sophisticated tradition of Malay-Islamic governance, sovereignty, justice, and moral responsibility. I do not know whether future scholars will agree with every conclusion I have reached, nor should they. Scholarship advances through evidence, dialogue, and respectful debate. Yet I hope this study encourages others to look at the Hukum Kanun Pahang not merely as a relic of history, but as a living testament to the constitutional thought of the Malay world.

As I waited for every chapter to take shape, I slowly realised that something unexpected was happening.

I set out to rediscover the Hukum Kanun Pahang. Along the way, I rediscovered the student, the historian, and the scholar within myself.

Those words may be the truest sentence I have ever written.

The greatest discovery was never hidden within the pages of an old manuscript.

It was hidden within me.

At sixty-six years of age, I discovered that dreams do not belong only to the young. I discovered that a housewife can become a student again. That a mature student can still lose sleep over footnotes and manuscripts. That someone who has always believed herself to be a late bloomer can still experience the excitement of research, the discipline of scholarship, and the quiet joy that comes from pursuing knowledge for its own sake.

Perhaps that is what education truly does.

It does not simply fill our minds with knowledge.

It transforms the way we see ourselves.

As I wait for the examiners’ reports, I am no longer thinking about grades or distinctions. Those will come in time, In shā’ Allāh. Today, my heart is filled only with gratitude.

Gratitude to Allah, who opened a door I never imagined I would walk through.

Gratitude to my lecturers, who challenged me to think more deeply than I believed I could.

Gratitude to my supervisors, who guided me with patience, wisdom, and generosity.

Gratitude to my family, who endured months of hearing me speak endlessly about forgotten sultans, manuscripts, constitutional law, and the Hukum Kanun Pahang.

And gratitude to the Hukum Kanun Pahang itself.

I thought I was studying an ancient manuscript.

In the end, the manuscript was studying me.

Yesterday, I submitted a master’s thesis.

Today, I simply whisper,

Alhamdulillāh.

-FMT

The Tengku Ampuan of Pahang, Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah, is a master’s candidate at the International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilisation (ISTAC), International Islamic University Malaysia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.