`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



 

21 JUNE 2026

Saturday, August 1, 2026

After long wait for citizenship, 88-year-old cherishes right to vote

 


SEREMBAN: An 88-year-old woman who only received her MyKad at the age of 75 refused to let transport difficulties stop her from voting for only the second time in today's Negri Sembilan election.

M. Krishnama booked a taxi and travelled alone to the polling centre at SMKA Sheikh Haji Mohd Said here to cast her ballot.

Krishnama, who lives alone and does not own a vehicle, said the difficulty of getting around was no excuse to neglect what she regarded as a special responsibility as a Malaysian.

"I live alone and do not have a car, so I came by taxi. My children live elsewhere.

"I previously held a red identity card. After waiting for many years, I finally received my MyKad when I was 75. This is only the second time I have voted," she said when met here today.

Krishnama said she had long wanted to vote, viewing it as a responsibility that every Malaysian should fulfil.

Although obtaining citizenship took many years, she said she never gave up and deeply valued the opportunity to exercise her right as a voter.

"I am proud to be Malaysian. Whenever there is an election, I must come out and vote, even if it means overcoming difficulties to reach the polling centre," she said. - NST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.