
That is the offer from Datuk Seri Shahril Mokhtar if he is elected president of the national football body.
Shahril, 53, is a corporate figure and former FAM vice president. He is currently the FA of Selangor deputy president.
Shahril said he has no interest in building a political empire at Wisma FAM, insisting that his priority would be to fix the much-maligned national body before stepping aside.
"If I am meant to contest, how long will I stay? If it happens, just one term. I do not want to linger," Shahril said.
"I will go in, do what needs to be done, clean up, and then step down."
Shahril believes a fixed one-term mandate would allow him to make difficult decisions without the political pressure of securing another term in office.
"Changes will happen because that is how I work," said Shahril, the former chief executive of Mass Rapid Transit Corp Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp) and Prasarana Malaysia Bhd.
"In every corporate role I have held, my job has always been to clean up and fix the system, " he said.
His willingness to take an uncompromising approach was demonstrated in June when he resigned from the FAM executive committee (exco) and his position as national Under-23 team manager over the governing body's handling of the Charity Shield dispute involving The Red Giants in 2024.
"FAM is not a political body; it is a sports organisation for the people," he said.
"I do not have a team. Sometimes candidates enter with their own factions, but that is not my concern. For me, whoever contests must have sincere intentions, and whoever is in there becomes my team."
Shahril's potential candidacy has been linked to a reform-minded group of affiliates, although he is still awaiting the formal endorsement of FAS president Raja Muda of Selangor Tengku Amir Shah Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah before the Sept 2 nomination deadline. - NST

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.