KOTA BELUD, May 22 — Five men who were conducting land surveying work and became stranded across a river due to swift currents in Kampung Melangkap, here, on Wednesday, were rescued in a challenging operation that lasted until Thursday morning.

The Sabah Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) Operations Centre received an emergency call at 4.48pm on Wednesday, prompting eight personnel from Kota Belud Fire and Rescue Station (BBP) to the scene, located approximately 35km away.

Station Chief Elge Bakuk said upon arriving at the main road near the location at 6.33pm, the firefighters trekked 5km through the jungle and along the riverbank before locating the victims at 12.45am.

He said the operation faced difficulties due to the hilly and steep terrain, as well as the lack of Government Integrated Radio Network (GIRN) coverage and mobile phone reception, which hampered communication throughout the operation.

The personnel’s torches also ran out of battery while the search and rescue operation was being conducted in the dark.

“All victims were successfully escorted out to a safe area at 5.50am before the operation was called off at 9.20am Thursday,” said Elge.

The operation involved a Fire Rescue Tender (FRT) with four personnel, an Emergency Medical Rescue Services (EMRS) vehicle with two personnel and a four-wheel-drive Toyota Vigo with two personnel.

Meanwhile, the Pamuntarian-Ulu Mosopoh road in Nabawan, which had been impassable since last Saturday due to flooding, is now open to all types of vehicles, reconnecting residents from six villages to Nabawan town.

Kampung Salarom Baru Village Chief Lumambai Antawor said since the road was submerged, no vehicles could pass through, leaving residents cut off and making it difficult to deliver food aid to the affected areas.

He said the situation also hampered efforts to deliver food supplies to residents.

The travel of teachers and students to two schools — Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Pamuntarian and SK Ulu Mosopoh — was also affected.

Last Tuesday, the Nabawan and Tulid assemblymen offices took the initiative to distribute food aid using an alternative method.

“The aid items were transported by vehicle to a certain point before being transferred to another vehicle on the other side of the flooded area. This required manual labour, with people having to wade through shoulder-deep water,” said Lumambai.

The immediate relief was contributed by Nabawan Assemblyman Datuk Abdul Ghani Mohamed Yassin and Tulid Assemblyman Jordan Jude Ellron.

The donations were delivered by Nabawan Community Development Leader Deckson Andipai, representing Abdul Ghani, while Antan Anginsor represented Jordan.

Meanwhile, residents’ representative Ambilek Omopor expressed gratitude to both elected representatives for the swift assistance provided while waiting for follow-up aid coordinated by the District Disaster Management Committee.

He said the committee is chaired by Nabawan District Officer Marshal Anthony @ Idham.

Ambilek, who is also Chairman of Kampung Salarom Baru Village Development and Security Committee (JKKK), said besides food aid, residents hope the Pamuntarian-Ulu Mosopoh road can be upgraded soon to resolve the issue of water overflowing during the rainy and flood seasons.

He added that there are several locations along the road that are frequently submerged and rendered impassable to vehicles every time a flood occurs. — Daily Express