SEPANG, May 21 — All 428 humanitarian activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0, including 29 Malaysians detained by Israeli forces in international waters, have been released, with the Malaysian group due to return home May 24.

Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) director-general Datuk Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the SNCC had been informed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had dispatched three Turkish Airlines aircraft to Ramon Airport, located in Israeli territory.

He said all 428 flotilla activists were being transferred by bus to Ramon Airport, and were expected to travel to Istanbul on three special Turkish government-sponsored flights, TK6919, TK6921 and TK6925.

“The three special Turkish Airlines flights are expected to depart from the Israeli territory at about 8 pm Malaysian time.

“The flight is expected to arrive at 10 pm Malaysian time and will be received by the Malaysian Embassy in Türkiye, Wisma Putra, as well as the Turkish government,” he said at a press conference on the latest developments of the GSF 2.0 mission here today.

Sani Araby said the Malaysian delegation was expected to undergo a thorough medical examination at Türkiye Hospital following reports that some activists had been beaten and sustained injuries.

He said the Malaysian activists were expected to fly home on May 23 (Saturday) and arrive at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on May 24.

He also expressed appreciation for the concern and continued commitment of Anwar, Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan, Communications Minister Datuk Seri Fahmi Fadzil and Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari in securing the release of the 29 Malaysians.

“This includes efforts to strategically mobilise international diplomatic channels for negotiations to ensure the safe return of all 29 Malaysians,” he said.

Sani Araby said the detention of the humanitarian activists had sparked international outrage and condemnation, expressed through official statements and demonstrations.

Countries including Turkiye, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Ireland, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, Australia and Portugal, as well as international organisations such as the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), United Nations (UN) and European Union (EU), condemned the interception and detention of humanitarian flotilla activists in international waters.

“The global response to the incident is not limited to condemnation, but also includes international pressure in the form of potential economic and diplomatic sanctions, legal action, issuance of warrants and diplomatic notes against Israel.

“Due to unexpected and increasingly widespread pressure, the regime, which had initially planned to detain them for a long period at Ketziut prison, was forced to release all activists unconditionally,” Sani Araby said.

Yesterday, SNCC confirmed that all 50 vessels in the GSF 2.0 mission, carrying 428 humanitarian activists from 40 countries, were intercepted by Israeli forces in international waters, about 80 nautical miles off the Gaza coast. — Bernama