N SEMBILAN POLLS | State Pakatan Harapan chairperson Aminuddin Harun has maintained that his decision to move to the Linggi state assembly seat was a political strategy to ensure a comfortable victory for the coalition.
Aminuddin, who was previously in Rafizi Ramli’s camp during the last PKR election, said he does not care if some quarters view the move as an attempt to bury his political career.
The caretaker menteri besar stressed that he offered himself to contest in the BN stronghold despite having finished his tenure in the Sikamat constituency.
“This was not an order, but I offered myself. I was asked by the leadership two or three times if I was sure about going to Linggi, and I said ‘I have made my decision.’
“The issue is not about which camp - Camp A, Camp B, or the Rafizi camp - but what matters to me is ensuring that Harapan wins in this election,” he told a press conference in Port Dickson today.
What are the odds?
Linggi is one of the five state constituencies under the Port Dickson parliamentary seat, which Aminuddin holds at the federal level.

BN’s Faizal Ramli won the seat in the 2023 state election, defeating Perikatan Nasional’s Zambri Said.
Harapan did not contest the seat in 2023 following an electoral pact with BN after the formation of the Madani federal government.
The last time Harapan contested in Linggi was during the 2018 general election, where they finished as runner-up.
However, during the 15th general election, Linggi voters who voted in the Port Dickson federal seat were relatively balanced in who they supported, with Harapan coming in first with 36 percent of the votes, followed by BN (33 percent) and PN (29 percent).
During the 2023 state election, when BN and Harapan cooperated, Umno won the seat with 55 percent of the vote, while PN’s share increased to 45 percent.

This was believed to have stemmed from protest votes by Umno supporters uncomfortable with the Harapan-BN alliance.
More seats, stronger govt
Meanwhile, Aminuddin said his decision to contest in Linggi was also to ensure Harapan wins comfortably in order to form a stable state government.
“We need a more comfortable number of seats to become a stable government, and I am confident that my move will create strong competition in Linggi.
“It was not easy for me to make this decision. I have thought it through, observed the atmosphere, and my ability to move. It is not easy for me to hit the ground running again to carry out house-to-house activities to meet and ensure that I can meet more voters.
“First, it is a political decision, and second, it is a decision to ensure that we can develop Linggi into a greater area moving forward,” he added. - Mkini

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.