
KUALA LUMPUR: The flood situation in Sabah worsened today, with more victims evacuated, while Sarawak opened its first relief centre (PPS) in Kuching.
In Sabah, the State Disaster Management Committee Secretariat (JPBN) reported that the number of flood victims had risen to 4,652 people as of 4 pm, compared with 3,768 at noon.
"The victims, comprising 1,799 families, are being accommodated at 25 PPS across the three affected districts: Pitas, Kota Marudu and Paitan.
"Pitas recorded an increase in victims to 2,013 people (787 families), up from 1,653 people (621 families) at noon, while Paitan saw a sharp rise to 716 victims (234 families) from 192 victims earlier," it said in a statement.
In Kota Marudu, the number of victims remained at 1,923 people, involving 778 families.
Meanwhile, in Sarawak, the state Disaster Management and Emergency Management Agency (JPBN) said a PPS had been opened at the Darul Istiqlaal Mosque, Kampung Sungai Maong, Kuching, at 11 am today.
"A total of 63 victims from 17 families have been evacuated to the PPS, and the number continues to rise," it added.
Last Wednesday, the Malaysian Meteorological Department predicted humid weather would continue in Sabah and Sarawak throughout this week, with rain expected in several areas following the passage of monsoon winds into the country. - NST


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.