`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



Monday, May 18, 2026

Gempur Rasuah Sabah 3.0 in the works as Bersih, student group press for justice

 


Civil rights groups are organising a third Gempur Rasuah Sabah rally to protest the authorities’ handling of the mining scandal, which implicated the state’s politicians.

In a statement today, Bersih vice-chairperson (Sabah) Fadhil Kasim said an official press conference will be held soon regarding the event, which is being planned together with the student group Suara Mahasiswa UMS.

Fadhil (above) lamented that despite a year having passed since the scandal broke out, only two individuals have been charged, while others referenced in the exposés remain free without prosecution.

He also acknowledged that prior to the Sabah state election in November last year, former MACC chief commissioner Azam Baki disclosed that potential charges against another six individuals are still awaiting a decision from the Attorney-General’s Office.

However, Fadhil lambasted perceived delays in providing updates on the matter.


In July last year, former Tanjung Batu assemblyperson Andi Suryady Bandy and former Sindumin assemblyperson Yusof Yacob faced corruption charges involving bribes allegedly linked to mineral prospecting licences in Sabah.

Businessperson Albert Tei, who had implicated more than a dozen Sabah politicians in the mining scandal by acting as a whistleblower since 2024, was also charged with two counts of offering bribes to the duo.

Reiterating calls for the MACC to provide a public explanation regarding the status of other politicians allegedly involved in the scandal, Fadhil further highlighted that several individuals accused of corruption have been elevated to certain government-linked positions.

The matter, he said, raises serious questions on the integrity of the Sabah state government led by Chief Minister Hajiji Noor.

Other implicated politicians

In January this year, criticism mounted after Yusof was appointed as the Sabah Development Bhd (SDB) chairperson and the state’s former deputy chief minister III, Shahelmey Yahya, was selected as Sabah Oil and Gas Development Corporation Sdn Bhd (SOGDC) chairperson.

The latter position is reportedly equivalent to a ministerial role, with SOGDC asserting that the Putatan assemblyperson’s appointment is expected to reinforce the company’s strategic direction.

ADS

Additionally, Fadhil also took issue with Tempasuk assemblyperson Arsad Bistari’s position as Sabah Softwoods Berhad’s chairperson.

Shahelmey and Arsad were both implicated in the scandal, alongside Hajiji, Deputy Chief Minister I and state Works and Utilities Minister Dr Joachim Gunsalam, Deputy Chief Minister II and state Finance Minister Masidi Manjun, state Rural Development Minister Rubin Balang, and state Local Government and Housing Minister Arifin Arif, who is Sabah governor Musa Aman’s son-in-law.

Also implicated are Kuamut assemblyperson Masiung Banah and state legislative assembly speaker Kadzim Yahya.

Businessperson Albert Tei

Tei had also named several Parti Solidariti Tanah Airku (Star) leaders, including its president Jeffrey Kitingan, his former deputy presidents Ellron Alfred Angin and Robert Tawik, former Star president Maximus Ongkili, and veteran politician Jahid Jahim.

In illustrating the gravity of the corruption scandal, Fadhil also pointed out that Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim’s former aide, Shamsul Iskandar Akin, has been implicated.

Shamsul, a former Malacca PKR chief, and Tei were slapped with corruption-linked charges in December last year. - Mkini

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.