
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh hinted at the seat change while speaking at the Karnival Sungai Udang and 'Jelajah Ketua Menteri Sayang Rakyat' in Taman Seri Bertam, here today.
"There are 15,000 military personnel living in the Sungai Udang constituency, which is why I've noticed Rais wearing military uniform lately. I asked him what's happening, but I understand now," Ab Rauf said.
He endorsed Rais through a traditional Malay pantun with a tongue-in-cheek description of the ideal representative for the area.
"If you're looking for a bathing place, first a bay, second a beach.
"If you're looking for a leader to represent you here (Sungai Udang), first he should be excellent, second he should be wise. That candidate is Datuk Rais Yasin," he said.
Rais won Paya Rumput in the last election with a 629-vote majority, defeating four opponents including former senior political secretary to the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin, representing Pakatan Harapan (PH).
Sungai Udang is currently held by Dr Mohd Aleef Yusof of Perikatan Nasional (PN).
Meanwhile, Rais said he was surprised by the announcement but reaffirmed his readiness to follow party orders.
"Wherever I am placed, I will comply because I am a party member.
"My commitment is to ensure all seats contested by BN in Tangga Batu parliamentary constituency will be won," said Rais, who is Umno Tangga Batu division chief and BN Tangga Batu chairman.
"Seat and candidate selection is the party's prerogative. My responsibility is to strengthen BN's machinery for the coming election," he said. - NST

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.