`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



 

21 JUNE 2026

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Ex-1MDB CEO denies deal with lead prosecutor Sri Ram for favourable testimony

 Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi says he was not offered any incentive, such as having his name removed from the suit, to testify in favour of 1MDB.

Shahrol Azral
Former 1MDB CEO Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi said he has no idea why the company dropped him from its US$5.64 billion civil suit against several parties, including ex-prime minister Najib Razak.
KUALA LUMPUR:
Former 1MDB CEO Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi today denied claims that he had struck a deal with the late Gopal Sri Ram to testify in favour of the company.

Shahrol, testifying as the fourth plaintiff witness in 1MDB’s US$5.64 billion civil suit, said Sri Ram, who was then the lead prosecutor in 1MDB’s criminal trial, did not offer him any incentive, such as having his name removed from the suit, to give evidence in favour of 1MDB.

He said this during cross-examination by counsel Shafee Abdullah, who represents former prime minister Najib Razak, the first defendant in the suit.

Shafee: Did Sri Ram interview you?

Shahrol: Yes.

Shafee: Did you have lunch together?

Shahrol: Yes, once.

Shafee: Did you make any deal with Sri Ram?

Shahrol: No.

Shahrol, 56, said he did not ask Sri Ram why he had to give evidence in favour of 1MDB while the company was suing him.

He also said he had no idea why 1MDB dropped him from the suit.

Shahrol disagreed with a suggestion that he was comfortable testifying in the criminal trial because of an undertaking by the prosecution and that he expected to be protected from further legal action.

He said he had never sought immunity under Section 132 of the Evidence Act 1950 before giving evidence.

He also said he rejected the contention that he had testified with the expectation that his evidence would shield him from future legal action.

1MDB and its subsidiaries – 1MDB Energy Holdings Ltd, 1MDB Energy Ltd, 1MDB Energy (Langat) Ltd and Global Diversified Investment Company Ltd, formerly known as 1MDB Global Investments Ltd – filed the suit on May 7, 2021.

They named Najib, 1MDB’s former finance director Terrence Geh, former executive director Casey Tang , former general counsel Jasmine Loo , former chief investment officer Vincent Beng, former chief financial officer Radhi Mohamad, former investment director Kelvin Tan and former SRC International CEO Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil, as defendants.

Last week, 1MDB dropped its suit against Radhi, with no liberty to refile. The company had previously removed Loo from the case as well.

The writ of summons stated that the plaintiffs, among other things, accused the defendants of breach of trust, breach of statutory duty, abuse of power and conspiracy to misappropriate 1MDB funds.

The trial before judicial commissioner Redzuan Idrus continues tomorrow. - FMT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.