The former Johor Bahru MP says he sought a speedy conclusion to his trial as he raced against time to attend to his cancer-stricken daughter before her death.

Shahrir, 75, said his name and photograph were published alongside the term “money laundering” when he was charged, creating the impression among many people that he was dishonest.
“As a politician, I am used to receiving criticism. But being criticised for my political views is not the same as being accused of money laundering.
“My wife and my late daughter had to read and hear the accusations against me. They gave me their support, but I knew they, too, endured the pressure and embarrassment,” he said in his witness statement.
Shahrir was giving evidence in his RM10 million suit against former attorney-general Tommy Thomas, former Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission chief Latheefa Koya, and the government, alleging malicious prosecution and misfeasance in public office.
He said he had wanted his criminal trial to proceed without unnecessary delays because his only daughter was then battling stage-four cancer and undergoing chemotherapy.
He said one trial date had to be changed because it clashed with his daughter’s treatment.
“I hoped the trial could be completed while my daughter was still alive. I wanted her to know how the criminal charge against me would end,” he said.
Shahrir was acquitted on Jan 5, 2023, after the prosecution withdrew the charge against him. His daughter, who had been under palliative care then, died not long after that.
The former Umno leader also told the court that RM200,000 in his bank account had been frozen for more than three years, from March 18, 2020, until the seizure order was cancelled and the money returned to him on May 23, 2023.
He said a car seized from him was only returned on May 12, 2023, meaning he and his wife were unable to use it for more than three years.
‘Not about revenge’
Shahrir said he had filed the suit not out of revenge, but because the powers to investigate, seize property, arrest and prosecute were “very great powers” that should only be exercised after a case had been properly investigated.
He said Thomas was named as a defendant because he was attorney-general at the time and had signed the consent to prosecute him.
Latheefa was named because she headed MACC’s investigation at the time.
Shahrir said Thomas had also stated in his defence that he had received a briefing, read the investigation papers, and decided to prosecute him.
However, he said he was not alleging that the defendants had played identical roles, and urged the court to assess the actions and knowledge of each of them separately.
He said the central issue for the High Court was whether he had been charged after a proper and complete investigation.
Shahrir’s suit arose from a RM1 million cheque he received from former prime minister Najib Razak for the rehabilitation of the Puri Langkasuka housing project in Larkin, Johor.
He had been accused of failing to declare the RM1 million to the Inland Revenue Board, leading to a money-laundering charge. However, the High Court here dismissed the charge after the prosecution withdrew the case.
Thomas’s defence
Thomas, who served as the attorney-general from June 4, 2018 to Feb 28, 2020, had denied the allegations in Shahrir’s statement of claim, including the allegation of misfeasance in public office.
He also pointed out that he resigned on Feb 28, 2020, and Shahrir’s criminal trial only began on July 26, 2022.
Senior federal counsel Zureen Elina Don, Liew Horng Bin and Siti Syakimah Ibrahim, together with federal counsel Nuur Zul Izzati Zulkifli, represented Latheefa, MACC and the government, and Alan Adrian Gomez and Haikaldin Mahyidin appeared for Thomas.
Firoz Hussein Ahmad Jamaluddin, Syed Faisal Al-Edros Syed Abdullah and Syahrul Syazwan Salehin represented Shahrir.
The trial before Justice Gan Techiong was adjourned to Sept 4. - FMT

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.