Investigations against media outlets for reporting on entrepreneur Sofia Rini Buyong’s claims linked to corruption allegations involving prominent figures are unacceptable as they amount to harassment, said lawyer Rajesh Nagarajan.
Sofia, in a video posted by PAS information chief Ahmad Fadhli Shaari on April 22, was seen speaking to another person, believed to be businessperson Albert Tei.
In the video, she claimed an individual named “Anwar” had told another individual called “Farhash” to steal money, which the latter was said to have then sent to Africa.
Speaking to Malaysiakini today, Rajesh said that he was informed by a police investigating officer that several media outlets, including Malaysiakini, had been called for investigation over their reports on the claims.
Rajesh said he learned this when he accompanied his client, MalaysiaNow editor Abdar Rahman Koya, for questioning at the Petaling Jaya police headquarters at 2pm today.

“The authorities did not call those who lodged the police report, but the press that published news reports on it, which doesn’t make any sense.
“It is unacceptable to do this to the press. They’re the fourth estate; society needs a free press for the proper functioning of the government,” he said, adding that the media acts as vital checks and balances that keep the powers that be accountable.
Will answer in court
Meanwhile, Rajesh said Rahman’s questioning was brief, lasting around 30 minutes, in which he was asked 57 questions, including one that centred on how his news report would affect the prime minister’s dignity.
He added that his client had responded to all questions by saying he would answer them in court.

“My client is being investigated under Section 500 of the Penal Code for criminal defamation as well as Section 233 of the MCMC Act 1998.
“Rahman cooperated very well, I would say. He showed up when he received the notice. He is just exercising his constitutional duties during questioning today,” he said.
Anwar, Farhash deny claims
Both Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim and his former aide, Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak, had denied Sofia’s allegations after the video surfaced.
Farhash said in a statement on May 6 that he had lodged a police report over the claims and had instructed his lawyers to take legal action against those spreading the allegations.
Sofia first made headlines last year over a video in which she discussed allegations of corruption involving Anwar’s former political secretary, Shamsul Iskandar Akin, with Tei.

Following this, Shamsul resigned as Anwar’s aide, claiming there were attempts to attack him with an issue that could ruin the government’s image.
This was after Malaysiakini contacted him for a response to allegations that he received money from Tei in connection with the mining scandal.
Subsequently, Shamsul and Tei were charged over the Sabah mining scandal, while the MACC classified Sofia as a prosecution witness.
Tei called for questioning
Tei, in a separate matter, claimed that he had been summoned by Bukit Aman’s CID Special Investigation Unit for questioning.
He said in a statement today that he had been informed by an investigating officer that Farhash had filed a police report on the night of May 5 regarding allegations in Sofia’s video.

However, Tei said he had lodged a police report on the matter earlier in the morning that same day, but he ended up being investigated instead.
“I was the one who filed the complaint with the police. But I am the one being investigated now,” he said, adding that it seemed that high-profile people are being given special treatment. - Mkini

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.