`


THERE IS NO GOD EXCEPT ALLAH
read:
MALAYSIA Tanah Tumpah Darahku

LOVE MALAYSIA!!!

 



Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Ministry steps up preparedness after Ebola global emergency declaration

 


The Health Ministry has stepped up preparedness and monitoring measures following the World Health Organization’s declaration of an Ebola outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on May 17.

The ministry said in a statement today that no Ebola cases have been reported in Malaysia so far, but preparedness measures are being further strengthened, taking into account the risk of imported cases through international travel following outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.

“The ministry is monitoring travellers entering Malaysia from Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, including those transiting through international hubs such as Dubai, Doha and Singapore. There are no direct flights from either country to Malaysia,” the statement said.

The ministry said monitoring and screening efforts are being intensified to support public health risk assessments and enable early preventive measures.

According to the statement, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been reported to the WHO as of May 16, along with 80 suspected deaths in Ituri Province in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In Uganda, two confirmed cases, including one death, were reported in Kampala, involving an individual with a travel history to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Serious infectious disease

Ebola is a serious infectious disease that can be fatal and is spread through close contact with the blood or body fluids of infected people or animals. Common symptoms include fever, headache, muscle pain, fatigue, vomiting, diarrhoea, and, in some cases, bleeding.

To strengthen the country’s preparedness, the Health Ministry said various measures are being implemented, including enhanced surveillance at all international entry points, improved early case detection, and greater readiness of healthcare facilities to isolate and manage suspected cases.

In addition, the ministry said personal protective equipment preparedness and training for healthcare workers are being kept at an optimal level, while laboratory diagnostic capacity is being strengthened in collaboration with the Institute for Medical Research and the National Public Health Laboratory.

The Health Ministry is also strengthening coordination and global risk monitoring with the WHO, the Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency, airlines and other relevant agencies.

“Individuals who have travelled to affected countries are advised to seek immediate medical attention if they develop symptoms such as fever, body aches, vomiting or bleeding within 21 days of returning,” the statement said.

It also urged the public to rely only on official information from the ministry and the WHO, and to avoid sharing unverified information that could cause public concern.

- Bernama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.